This is the Basic Key notes of PostgreSQL PEM (EDB Postgres Enterprise Manager)
1. Hardware Pre-Requisites
For optimum speed when monitoring servers and rendering dashboards, we recommend installing PEM on a system with at least:
- 4 CPU cores
- 8 GB of RAM
- 100 GB of Storage
Additional disk space is required for data storage. Please note that resource usage will vary based on which probes are defined and enabled, and the activity level on the monitored databases. Monitoring server resources (as you use PEM) will let you know when you need to expand your initial system configuration.
2. Before installing the PEM Server, set SELinux to permissive mode with the command:
# setenforce Permissive
When the installation is complete, return SELinux to enforcing mode with the command:
# setenforce Enforcing
3. Firewall Restrictions
Please note that you must adjust your firewall to allow communication between PEM components.
4. Before installing the PEM agent on a CentOS 7.x host, you must ensure that the host contains the wxbase and epel-release packages. To install the packages, open a command line, assume root privileges, and invoke the commands:
yum install epel-release
yum install wxbase
5. Ensure that the Postgres server contains an installation of the sslutils extension.
If the Postgres server resides on a Linux system, use make to build the sslutils module:
a. Set the value of PATH so it can locate the pg_config program:
b. Then, use yum to install the sslutil dependencies:
yum install openssl-devel
c. Move into the sslutils folder, and enter:
make USE_PGXS=1 make USE_PGXS=1 install
6. Whie installing PEM Server – cidr_address_range specifies the address range that will be added to the pg_hba.conf file of the PEM server’s backing database to allow connections from the agents that will be monitored by the server. You may wish to specify a network range (for example, 0.0.0.0/24) to provide server access to agents that reside on the all network.
PostgreSQL PEM to accept all incoming connections
host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5
7. ensure that the monitored Postgres database has SSL enabled, and is accepting connections.
8. You must have Administrator privileges to install the PEM agent. Use the following command to invoke the PEM agent installer in unattended mode:
pem-agent-7.x.x-windows-x64.exe --mode unattended --pghost pem_server_host_address --pgport pem_server_port --pguser postgres --pgpassword pguser_password --agent_description agent_name
9. The PEM server installer has three dependencies:
- PostgreSQL -It is for monitoring data information and name of the database is pem
- Language Pack